Thursday, August 18, 2005

What We Cannot Lose

I have spent most of my summer break cleaning out cupboards, closets, drawers ... any place we have stored things in the home we have owned for more than 16 years. Over the past three summers I have spent most of my time recuperating from surgery or feeling drained from auto-immune disease. This was my summer of feeling great!
Some things have been hard to part with but, in most cases, it has been very freeing to "let go." The bonus came this weekend when we were able to fit our cousins' car in our garage while they were visiting from out of town. Anyone who knows us, knows this is quite an accomplishment!!! Being "Type A", I love seeing everything off the floor and organized on shelves.
A few weeks ago my devotion was on Psalm 92:12-15 .... about growing old. Growing old is about losses. We devote most of our early life to acquiring things ... things we will lose as we age. We lose our strength, our looks, our friends, our job. We may lose our wealth, our home, our health, our spouse, our independence ... but one thing we will never lose -- the love of God.
After I read this it made me realize that I am now in the season of life of letting go and I have never been good at "good-byes." It's comforting to know that "even to your old age, I am He and I will carry you!" .... this we cannot lose!
I haven't reached my goal of completing my entire house this summer but from all the trips I've made to Goodwill, the dump, and the hazardous waste dept. etc. it's made a difference and caused me to realize that I am now in a new season of life and reminded of what I cannot lose.
Only 3 more days remaining of my summer break and then back to work!

1 comment:

>> said...

Can't wait to see you tomorrow!