Monday, April 13, 2009

Shape Up


For the month of April our elementary school is participating in, Shape Up Across Oregon, a program that provides encouragement for children in meeting daily guidelines for physical fitness and nutrition. Shape Up Across Oregon was originally developed by The Oregon Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports in response to an increasing need for physical activity among children. Sounds a bit like a previous post about a program in the 60's called, Chicken Fat : ) but this program is self-motivated -- no one is turning on the phonograph (ooohhh-that sounds ancient!) forcing you to participate. Each day that you exercise (not to exceed 1.5 hrs.) you color in a square of an Oregon map that is provided by the program and "exercise" your way across the state.
My journey across Oregon is looking a little dull. A busy schedule last week kept me from my walks -- thus very few squares are filled in on my map. I've just returned from a fifty-minute walk. It felt good. I had my iPod on and listening to the soundtrack, Walk the Line gave a little lift in my stride. Of course, when the Ring of Fire came on I had to chuckle -- remembering Adam's version on American Idol : ) Anyway, on the last half of the walk I tried running four blocks and walking four blocks. The sudden rainfall gave me the motivation I needed.
Now to finish my day off ... turning on the fireplace, reading my Bible study lesson, and taking a little nap. Gotta love these days off ... the only one left on the school calendar this year is Memorial day. Such a long stretch .....

No comments: