Monday, February 15, 2010

Seventh Week Summary

It has now been seven weeks since we started our fitness regime for the new year. We have made the effort to go to Club Sport at least 5 or 6 times a week. We both can feel the difference health-wise and by how our clothes are fitting. We just feel better!
The first week of our workout my iPod decided to have issues so it was another "investment" in our workout plan. This new updated version has many new features. I can plug it into the equipment and download the data from my workout. This info is sent to Nike Plus where it graphs my workout, calories burned etc. What a great tool and incentive to stay on task.
My last serious adventure in getting fit was in 1987. My Dr. suggested I read Covert Bailey's "Fit or Fat" and it was very motivational. I remember only missing one fitness workout (due to illness) between April-August. I also followed Nathan Pritikin's Diet for Runners where I made meals from seven survival staples. I think that was the last time I truly felt fit and healthy.
I have been so pumped this year working on my Word of Year -- VITALITY. It's huge for me to do this. It has been a long journey in my return to health. Six years ago I was so anemic the Drs. couldn't figure out how I got out of bed to go to work each day. A hemotologist gave me shots of Aranesp (a man-made form of a protein that helps your body produce red blood cells) every other week for 5 months ... an amazing treatment with huge price tag! I also had to have several sessions of iron by IV therapy. So you can only imagine what a victory it is to stay on the elliptical for an hour and "run" 20 laps. In an age where we want "instant" results in our lives, this has been a lesson in persistence and patience. I am so very thankful to those who have been praying for me on this long journey to restored health. For me ... this is my "miracle."
In this second month of the new year I hope you also have found times of victory and renewed determination in your goals and Words of the Year!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Karen!!!! And, Walter, too. Please keep up the good work and keep eating your heart healthy diet.
Mom